ListWise

Sunday, July 27, 2008

The Horror

Today is the first time in 3 days I’ve had internet or cable TV at home. Once I started painting the butler’s pantry I had to disconnect everything. All of the telecom now runs through the Stern home-networking box I installed in the butler’s pantry and I had to remove all of the cables and mask it so I could paint. Its like I was living in the dark ages or something.

In a completely unrelated story, the last 3 days have been more productive than any three days in the last 12 months. I have no idea what can account for this sudden and mysterious increase in productivity. Its like I had all of this extra time on my hands. Its just bizarre and they is really no discernable explanation for it.

Anyway, the room is completely painted, but I may paint it again. The trim and cabinets are the Honey White. I settled on one of 3 colors for the walls and then abruptly changed my mind when I walked in to Sherwin Williams on Thursday. I ended up getting Butternut in latex satin.

The color is a little…well, it’s a little bright. Its high-contrast. It’s a bit more than I’m accustomed to. I got it up late yesterday and a half dozen times or so over the last 18 hours I’ve just stood there and looked at for several minutes trying to decide if I like it or not. I’m still not sure.

When I first opened the can my initial thought was, “Oh, this will never work”. It looked like something CalTrans might use to paint the lines down the middle of the highway. Like I said, its bright. It does mellow some once its on the walls, but, like I said, its high-contrast. I normally don’t do high-contrast.

I’ve decided I’m not going to be rash. I’m going to live with it for a week and if need be, I can re-paint next weekend. There is no rush, but if its going to be done, it should be done before I sand the floor. One thing going for it is the fact that the butler’s pantry is a small, windowless room that I really won’t spend a lot of time in. Anyplace else in the house and I can almost assure you that I would be re-painting right now and you would have never known that I put this color on the walls in the first place. In fact, it may have never made it out of the can.

Sorry, there are no pictures at this time. The tin ceiling did arrive on Friday as expected so that will be going up today. I hope to get some pictures posted tomorrow. I want to get the door to the kitchen, cabinet doors, and all of the hardware back on as well. If your curious as to what the walls look like, just look at the yellow lines on the highway as your out driving around today. Its sort of like that.

3 comments:

StuccoHouse said...

Yellows are hard. I'm usually pretty good at picking out paint, but when I started to choose the yellow paint for the exterior of my house, I must have brought home 100 yellow paint chips....and maybe 25 actual sample jars. There were a lot of afternoons of standing out in front of my house just looking at yellow.

Eureka Observer said...

You said". "Its like I had all of this extra time on my hands. Its just bizarre and they is really no discernable explanation for it."

Wasn't it because the Internet and Cable TV were unplugged? Amazing how much time that can free up!

Anonymous said...

I fear that I too will be experiencing a major uptick in productivity. In my case, I'm headed to an area that has (horrors) dial-up. Slinging much paint and money this last week.

Sometimes one spots a good deal on unwanted paint. Not the mauve on steroids after testing it. Wow. My eyes still hurt thinking about it.

Can't wait to see the tin ceiling.