ListWise

Friday, April 27, 2007

Good, Bad, or Indifferent

I’ve picked the color for the bathroom walls. I just went in and did it. I was like a bathroom-wall-paint-color-picking machine. I hate picking out colors, so my new thing is to not think about it and just act on instinct like an animal, or a machine, as the case may be. It remains to be seen how well this New Thing works.

I went with Sherwin Williams Dover White in satin. If you recall the trim is going to be Queen Anne’s Lace, which is a very pale green. In fact, it’s so pale, unless it gets up against a color that is more pale, it’s hard to tell it is a green.

The Queen Anne’s Lace will be on the window trim on the window opposite the toilet, the medicine cabinet, door trim, the two built-in cabinets, and the bead board ceiling and crown molding. It is a lot of wood considering the relatively small size of the room. I think if the Queen Anne’s Lace were used on much less wood, it would not be noticeable as a green at all. I painted the beadboard ceiling more than a month ago and it wasn’t until today when I primered the walls that the green started to come out.

Speaking of the walls, as I just said, I got the primer on them today. They really look nice. I couldn’t be happier with the plaster work, with the one little exception of a hair line crack that has developed over the shower. I’m not sure what to do about it. For now, I’m going to ignore it and hope it goes away. This usually works for illness and non-emergency medical problems, so I’m hoping it will work with cracks in the plaster as well. Fingers crossed.

I also picked up the crown molding today. I bought the finger jointed pre-primed pine crap. This is the first time I’m putting something other than redwood or fir in the house. I feel so cheap. I should have gone to the mill and had custom redwood molding made. Is this a sign of things to come? Will I start considering vinyl windows next? Maybe I’ll re-install that green high-low shag carpeting? That carpet was kind of nice, now that I think about it.

2 comments:

Marilyn said...

White?? C'mon, Greg, you can do better than that! A nice dark green a little lower down on the Queen Anne's Lace color card would have been nice--and gone well with that purple window.

Greg said...

know, I know, I know.