ListWise

Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Bathroom Jewelry

This is the first of what will be many purchases for the downstairs bathroom over the next few months. In other wards, I’m going to be broke over the next few months as I pour more money in to the house. I keep telling myself it’s an investment, and I guess it is, but it still stings a bit.

Anyway, enough belly-aching and on with the show and tell. These are my latest Ebay treasure. They are a pair of 1890s nickel plated, brass sink legs. First is a picture of the of the legs I bought and then a picture I found on-line of how they are used.





Notice in the picture how the sink legs support a marble apron, which in turn supports the marble vanity. What I don’t have are the nickel/brass wall supports for the apron. If I can’t find any, or make any, I’m thinking I could support the apron in a notch in the wall tile, like one would support floor joists in a brick or stone house.

On the back of the angled parts, at the top of the sink legs, where the marble sits, there are threaded fittings which will hold a bracket so the legs can’t separate from the apron.



On the bottom of the legs, as you can see in the picture above, there is a stud that will go in to a hole in the tile floor. This keeps the leg from being kicked out from under the sink. What all of this means is, I’ve pretty much committed myself to a marble vanity.

I have 2 that are being held for me right now. One is local, at one of the shops. There is an issue with the faucet and some stains, that I won’t go in to now. The other one is at an on-line site. There are issues there as well, that I won’t go in to. Hopefully some things can be resolved in the next week or two and I will have one of the vanities with a sink.

After that I’ll need the marble skirting. Those will be just 3 pieces of marble with no fancy mill work, so I can get that locally from the same place I got the slab for the kitchen. Both of the vanities I’m looking at are the same white Carrara marble, so it shouldn’t be too hard to get a good match.

It’s going to be a challenge to get this all put together without it being crooked or anything. I’m getting nervous about it already, but if it comes out nice, it should look pretty neat. If it doesn’t, I can always sell the house, right?

Oh, and notice the tile in the bathroom picture. This is pretty much what I'm shooting for. I like the white hex with the white square boarder. Those may even be 1X2 rectangles in a staggered running bond on the boarder. It's simple, and plain in a way, but I really like it.

Edit: The Victorian Toilet with the shell motif listed on Ebay that I wrote about in yesterday's post sold for $1,375.00! As I said, too rich for my blood.

3 comments:

Gary said...

nhecaaqqWouldn't an inverted and reversed chrome plated L-bracket work against the wall? Maybe a shallow wood support brace between the marble skirts and a strip of angle iron screwed to the wall?
When I said "Go for broke, Greg!" I didn't really mean Go for Broke, but since you are already there then there is only one direction to go in now.....

Hey, how did "Richard Head" do in the local election?

Greg said...

I didn't go in to a lot of detail on it, but I would employ some sort of brace underneath to keep it against the wall. Keeping it from falling on the floor is another story. The vanity without sink, faucets, and backsplash weighs 80 to 100 pounds. Once it is all together with the skirting it could approach 200 pounds. An angle bracket alone may not be enough to hold the whole thing up over time. The skirting marble is only 3/4 of an inch thick so any bolts or dowels going in to the marble would be less. It is something I'll have to play around with.

As for The Candidate and how well he did, no one knows for sure, other than he didn’t when by a long shot. It was a 3-way race for mayor and the results are still too close to call. We also don’t know yet about one of the City Council races and a County Supervisor race. We are a very divided community in some ways. One of the most divisive issues this election was about Home Depot. It would be our second Big Box store in the area after Costco. A lot of people don’t want it, and a lot of people do.

Anonymous said...

So amazing what can be found on ebay!